[PLUG] Samba or Nautilus Problem?

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Sat May 17 20:03:03 UTC 2014

snip

> [2014/05/10 09:57:51.159599,  0]
> ../source3/param/loadparm.c:4365(process_usershare_file)
>    process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/public
> failed. Permission denied

Based on the messages that follow, does /var/lib/samba/usershares/public
exist -- if so, what are the permissions (and one thing I'm not up to
speed on is what AppArmor might do to protect such files, in a fashion
similar to SELinux.

> In log.smbd there are a lot of lines complaining about files or
> directories not existing:
>
> [2014/05/13 09:09:54.293667,  0] ../lib/util/pidfile.c:153(pidfile_unlink)
>    Failed to delete pidfile /var/run/samba/smbd.pid. Error was No such
> file or directory
> [2014/05/13 09:10:55,  0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1198(main)
>    smbd version 4.1.6-Ubuntu started.
>    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2013
> [2014/05/13 09:10:55.400898,  0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:1278(main)
>    standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option

Ubuntu usually does an excellent job making sure that executables in
their packages point to existing files/directories of the right sort,
(e.g. socket)

> Then there are a number of entries complaining about missing files for
> individual machines. These are the files I saw in /var/log/samba, but it
> looks like samba is expecting to find them in /usr/local/samba/var. I
> looked in usr/local, but there is no samba directory. If I simply
> created those directories might that fix something? Would it hurt
> anything to try that?

If logs are complaining about missing files, I wonder -- have you
installed /compiled Samba components from different sources, such as
samba.org?

In any case, I might also create "expected" files and directories with
touch and mkdir -- but the "right" way might be to uninstall --all--
Samba-related packages, make sure that all related files are moved, and
reinstall Samba client and server packages.

Thanks,
Mike