[PLUG] Stale NFS Handle

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sat May 24 16:57:09 UTC 2014

On 05/23/14 17:07, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have a 3 TB USB drive connected to my laptop (192.168.0.126, Xubuntu
> 13.10). My desktop (192.168.0.146, Xubuntu 12.04) can mount this share,
> but when I try to access any of the files on it I get "Stale NFS
> Handle."
>
> I tried umounting and mounting the share, which executed without error,
> but the problem persists. One web site said to stop nfs service and
> restart it, but "service nfs stop" returns the error "nfs: unrecognized
> service." Finally I rebooted the desktop and remounted the share, but I
> still get "Stale NFS Share" when I try to access any of the files. From
> the command line on the desktop I can navigate to the mount point,
> where the ls command shows the drive, but trying to cd into the drive
> still gives me "Stale NFS Handle."

I think this is an issue with the server(your laptop), not the
client(your desktop).  Try restarting the nfs server.

This *may* be the correct command for Ubuntu.
sudo service nfs-kernel-server restart

I expect that will clear the problem.  If not, try flushing the server's
  nfs export table.

sudo exportfs -f

galen
--