[PLUG] Stale NFS Handle

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat May 24 19:50:52 UTC 2014

On Sat, 24 May 2014 09:57:09 -0700
Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> dijo:

>On 05/23/14 17:07, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> I have a 3 TB USB drive connected to my laptop (192.168.0.126,
>> Xubuntu 13.10). My desktop (192.168.0.146, Xubuntu 12.04) can mount
>> this share, but when I try to access any of the files on it I get
>> "Stale NFS Handle."
>>
>> I tried umounting and mounting the share, which executed without
>> error, but the problem persists. One web site said to stop nfs
>> service and restart it, but "service nfs stop" returns the error
>> "nfs: unrecognized service." Finally I rebooted the desktop and
>> remounted the share, but I still get "Stale NFS Share" when I try to
>> access any of the files. From the command line on the desktop I can
>> navigate to the mount point, where the ls command shows the drive,
>> but trying to cd into the drive still gives me "Stale NFS Handle."
>
>I think this is an issue with the server(your laptop), not the
>client(your desktop).  Try restarting the nfs server.
>
>This *may* be the correct command for Ubuntu.
>sudo service nfs-kernel-server restart
>
>I expect that will clear the problem.  If not, try flushing the
>server's
>  nfs export table.
>
>sudo exportfs -f

That worked:

	sudo service nfs-kernel-server restart
	[sudo] password for jjj:
	 * Stopping NFS kernel daemon
	[ OK ]
	 * Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
	[ OK ]
	 * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...
	[ OK ]
	 * Starting NFS kernel daemon

After running the above on the laptop, the desktop was finally able to
access the share. Thanks for figuring out a solution.

Now that I have the problem resolved, I'd like to figure out how to
stop it from happening again. From my dim understanding of what I read
about this error message on the net, apparently it happens when the
server changes a file on the share. The server (the laptop) is
constantly accessing files on the share because some are distros that I
continue to seed with the laptop. But this is the first time the "Stale
NFS Handle" error happened, even though I have been seeding for ages.
In other words, just accessing the files must not be enough to trigger
the error.