[PLUG] Scanning for and connecting to wifi networks

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 18:28:08 UTC 2014

On 11/07/2014 11:29 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Xubuntu 14.04.1, fresh install shortly after it was released.
>
> I know there are commands that can be used to scan for available wifi
> networks and to connect to them, but I can't remember what they are and
> my google fu is failing me. Can someone remind me?

Why not use Network Manager or Wicd?  Both are in the (X)Ubuntu repos
and include applets in GMOME/Xfce/KDE to make scanning and connecting to
wifi APs a one click affair.

http://docs.xubuntu.org/1304/internet-networks.html

In fact, Network Manager is supposed to be installed by default in Xubuntu.

(As I use Slackware, I'm well acquainted with CLI (terminal) utlities,
but that does not mean I have to use them for *every* task.)

-Ed