[PLUG] Of time and spreadsheets

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:41:44 UTC 2014

All I needed was Time worked rate and amount billed.
That worked, since timeclock already does all of the
other calculations all I do is move the duration from
TimeClock to the invoice, now I will modify my invoice
to where it can handle the time rather than my having
to convert it to decimal

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/08/2014 09:54 AM, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > Folks,
> > I am trying to figure out how to handle time in a spreadsheet. I need
> > to enter the time hh:mm and then the hourly billing and obtain a billing
> > value for that time entered. Presently I just round the minutes to the
> > nearest 15 minute value, i.e. .25, .5, .75 or 1. But I would actually
> like
> > to have the spread sheet take the actual worked time from my time
> > clock app and not have the manipulate it so that it turns out correct.
> >
> > I have looked but so far what I find is not exactly what I need.
> >
> > In summary, I have three columns
> > time hh:mm   |   rate  | amount billed
> >
> > The time is in 24hr format I do not have time to piss around with a.m.
> > p.m. so it will be 0-23 hrs, and minutes 0-59. I am trying to figure out
> > how to do the math so that the hours and minutes x rate will give me
> > the correct numbers in the amount billed column.
> >

> Make sure you format the spreadsheet cells as TIME format, e.g.,
> HH:MM:SS (24 hr without AM/PM).  Then
>
> Time in | Time out | Time worked | Rate   |  Amt Billed
> 10:20   | 13:50    | =A2-B2      | $10.00 |  C2*24*D2
>                      (03:30:00)              ($35.00)
>
> You'll have to but some logic in if your time crosses Midnight.  If your
> time clock already spits out "time worked" this will still work as long
> as the "time Worked" cell is formatted as 24hr TIME (HH:MM) and not TEXT
> or NUMBER - which may be the default setting.
>
> (Tested with Libreoffice/OpenOffice Calc)
>
> -Ed

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.