[PLUG] Scanning for and connecting to wifi networks

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Nov 9 11:56:58 UTC 2014

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

John> Afterward I was able to enable wifi again via the GUI. But there
John> is still strangeness. The 'iw wlan0 scan' command found only one
John> network (a neighbor). It didn't even find my own network. A few
John> moments later I clicked on the panel icon for nm-applet, and it
John> listed my own network and half a dozen neighbors. It still
John> didn't show the Flashair, however.

John> I went back to the command line and repeated the command. Again
John> it displayed only the one neighbor. But I have a clue: The one
John> neighbor is open, no security, where all the others are secured,
John> including my own and (presumably) the Flashair. 'Man iw' says
John> very little, and 'iw --help' says too much; way more than I can
John> understand.

"iw wlan0 scan" should show you all networks, not just open ones,
however, scanning has a tradeoff between quick results and complete
results and you might not get complete results everytime, depending on
which beacons (or perhaps other traffic) were seen during the run
through the channels.

It seems network manager shows you results cached from recent scans.
An "iw wlan0 scan" should update those cached values.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net