[PLUG] Scanning for and connecting to wifi networks

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Nov 12 06:44:09 UTC 2014

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

John> On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:43:31 -0800 Russell Senior
John> <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

John> I'm pretty sure I will be able to connect to the Flashair if I
John> can just figure out how to tell network manager what the
John> password is. Any ideas?
>>  You could try "forgetting" the network and then try connecting
>> again.  If it had cached a password earlier, that should "forget"
>> the password too and re-ask for it.

John> I can't find any option in the nm-applet to "forget" a network
John> connection.

It'll be buried in there somewhere.  On my Gnome Ubuntu 14.04, there
is a "Wi-Fi Settings" thing, next to the networks I have connected to
is a little arrow.  If I follow the arrow I find a page with a
"Forget" button.

John> But when I connect to it with the laptop it says it is
John> connected, but the icon keeps spinning around waiting for me to
John> give it the password, which I cannot do because the GUI gives me
John> no place to enter it. After a while it times out.

If you fail to get a DHCP address (when it is expecting one, as it
usually is) you will get similar behavior.

While it is spinning, try running iwconfig from a shell.  It should
tell you whether you are associated.  If you are, and it's still
spinning, then you don't have a DHCP lease for some reason.

John> [...] Is there a way to connect to a network and give it a
John> password from the command line?

You want wpa_supplicant or its close friends (maybe wpa_cli?).  Or
maybe you don't, but you asked, so there it is. ;-)

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net