[PLUG] Disconnect eth1 from the command line without sudo

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 22:31:43 UTC 2014

I want to disconnect and later reconnect eth1* in a bash script. "Sudo
ifconfig eth1 down" and then later "...up" will do it, but every time I
run the script I will have to pump in my password. However, I can
connect and disconnect from eth1 via the nm-applet GUI (using the panel
icon) without needing root, so it should be possible to do so from the
command line without sudo as well. Google has not been forthcoming with
a non-sudo command to do this. Any ideas?

*The ethernet chip on my System76 Bonobo Extreme has two MAC addresses,
so Xubuntu 14.04.1 assigns eth0 to one and eth1 to the other. It always
connects to eth1. Why this is so is beyond my job description, so I
ignore the situation.