[PLUG] Odd character printing in html document in Firefox

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Fri Nov 21 20:39:37 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:55:19 -0800
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> The documentation for BRL-CAD is a series of html files stored
> locally. When I open them in Firefox, on some lines I have a number
> of the character A with a carat over the top. When I look at the same
> files in Chromium I see indented lines. Does anyone know what is
> causing Firefox to render this differently from Chromium?

Sounds to me like a character encoding issue.  Make sure that Chromium
and Firefox are both set to the same encoding.  It should be Unicode,
but you never know.

Also, check the HTML files to see what character set they declare.  E.g.,

                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It could be that they declare one thing, then use another.  Sometimes
several others.  :-(  Firefox (and I assume [*cough-cough*] Chromium)
will set their encoding to match what the file declares.  Which then
gets fouled up when they hit the wrongly-encoded text.  You might try
selecting different encodings in Firefox, just to see what happens.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Daniel: "This tastes like chicken."