[PLUG] Debian Debootstrap and Multistrap - instructional material?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 08:53:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 5:31 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
> Robert Citek wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>>> My goal this time is educational making any install using
>>> debootstrap &/or multistrap.
>>
>> I used Knoppix within a VirtualBox VM to install Ubuntu Precise
>> (12.04) using debootstrap.  These are the commands I used.
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/rwcitek/df49bb1c3b2020170097#file-deboostrap-txt
>>

> Though not what I thought I asked for,

What is it that you are asking for?  The above commands install a
fully bootable Ubuntu system using debootstrap.  That is, the gist
provides a working base from which you can make changes.  For example,
here's a gist for Squeeze that I made after a few iterations of
changes.  It automates some the tasks that debootstrap does not
handle:

https://gist.github.com/rwcitek/ffe6590fa1bcd45d9be4

Debootstrap is quite nice in that I have been able to install a fully
bootable system in under 5 minutes.

> it may be just what I "needed". <grin>
> Thanks.

Good luck and do let us know how things go.

Regards,
- Robert