[PLUG] TONIGHT: October PLUG Meeting: Diversity in Open Source: What We Can Do

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Thu Oct 2 17:13:13 UTC 2014

Portland Linux/Unix Group General Meeting Announcement

Who: Jennifer Davidson
What: Diversity in Open Source: What We Can Do
Where: PSU, 1930 SW 4th Ave. Room FAB 86-01 (Lower Level)
When: Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 at 7pm
Why: The pursuit of technology freedom
Stream: http://pdxlinux.org/live/

If you're involved in tech and/or open source, you know the community
suffers from a lack of diversity. The big question is: Why? Even more
powerful is: What can each of us do to build a community that is
welcoming of contributors from all backgrounds? Jennifer Davidson will
shed light on these issues and discuss what ChickTech is doing locally
in Portland. Expect actionable steps we can take as a community to
increase diversity in tech.

Jennifer Davidson is a User Experience Researcher and Designer at Intel.
She received a PhD in Computer Science with an emphasis in
Human-Computer Interaction from Oregon State University in June 2014.
She is the Interim Board President for ChickTech (http://chicktech.org).
Her passions include studying open source communities, designing
software that works for humans, and doing outreach to build women in
tech communities. Jennifer has given talks at OSCON, Open Source Bridge,
Open Source Systems, Code n' Splode, and many academic conferences.

Calagator Page: http://calagator.org/events/1250466762

Many will head to the Lucky Lab at 1945 NW Quimby St. after the meeting.

Rideshares Available

PLUG Page with information about all PLUG events: http://pdxlinux.org/
Follow PLUG on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pdxlinux

See you there!