[PLUG] eee pc error msg on boot

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 17:28:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Paul Mullen <pm at nellump.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 06:21:45PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>> I have two Ubuntu 12.04 systems: a desktop and the netbook(notebook?)
>> The desktop has a kernel 3.2.0-36-generic; the netbook has
>> 3.13.0-36-generic.  Strange, since I update them both regularly.  I
>> have no idea why Ubuntu would use a significantly older kernel for the
>> netbook.  And I do not know how I might get a newer version.
>
> According to their package search page, Ubuntu only offers up to Linux
> 3.13.0 for the 12.04 release.
>
>    http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/linux-image-3.13.0-37-generic
>
> You could try upgrading to the latest build, 37 (one newer than what
> you're already got on your Asus).  But there's nothing in the
> changelog to suggest a WMI-related fix.  Other options include
> downgrading your kernel, or upgrading the entire install to a newer
> release.  Both have their drawbacks.
>

> --
> Paul Mullen

I have been misunderstanding the kernel version sequence numbers.  I
assumed was 3.2 newer than 3.13 since it is the larger number.
Googling has told me not to view number to the right of the "." as
decimals.  So I have on the Asus Ubuntu's latest.  Why does my desktop
have 3.2?  I would expect that routine updates would include the
kernel.  I guess I will sit pat for a while at least, as the machine
works for what I want right now.

-Denis