[PLUG] Postfix Enters The Twilight Zone

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 21 14:57:24 UTC 2014

   Something broke last night (before midnight) and is now partially fixed.
Help is needed to understand what borked and how to finish the repairs.

   Four days ago, on the 17th, I upgraded postfix from 2.11.1 to 2.11.2. It
worked as it's supposed to until last night, so it's probably a safe
assumption that the problem is not related to the upgrade, but to something
else. The DNS servers have the correct MX address, so do 'host' and 'dig;'
web access was unaffected.

   After logging in this morning there was no new mail; not in the INBOX, not
in any of the other mbox files. Not even reports generated locally from
dirvish backup, postfix log summary, logwatch report. In /var/log/maillog
every incoming message was rejected: no relay allowed, 'mail to <domainname>
loops back to myself', and similiar. An hour's worth of web searches turned
up many instances of this problem with various solutions. Trial-and-error
found that worked.

   In /etc/postfix/main.cf all lines for examples of mydestination were
commented out; have been for as long as postfix has, AFAIK. Uncommenting one
line and appending 'appl-ecosys.com' (not 'mail.appl-ecosys.com') unplugged
the stoppage and smtpd now accepts all incoming messages. However, ...

   They all end up in my inbox; every recipe in ~/procmail/recipes.rc is
ignored.

   How to I trace a) why incoming mail started being rejected and b) why the
procmail recipes are not used? It appears that adding my domain name to
'mydestination' in main.cf is suddenly now required, but I'd like to know
why. And, what is needed to get incoming mail sent to procmail so it's
sorted properly?

TIA,