[PLUG] Postfix Enters The Twilight Zone [FIXED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 21 23:23:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014, Ken Stephens wrote:

> The file was cached until load became enough to push it out. That's when
> the system reread the configuration and started your troubles. The Tribles
> did it.

Ken,

   That certainly makes sense. As the system is on continuously there's no
reason to re-read any config files. Was quite a shock early in the morning
to see no new mail, not even from the backup or log summaries.

   Pondering the situation, past upgrades must have left main.cf unchanged
because this has not happened before. My working main.cf was renamed to
main.cf.orig and the new file took its place.

   Now I know what to do if this happens with the next upgrade. What made it
really easy to fix was reading man diff and learning of the -y option.
Opened a v.t. and maximized that, then ran diff -y on the old main.cf
(recovered from the backup until I realized it was there as main.cf.orig)
and the new file and saw the changes side-by-side. Makes comparison _so_
easy!

Thanks so much for pointing out why postfix broke after 4 days,