[PLUG] SD card with wifi

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 23 18:03:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I use a CPAP machine that stores daily data on an SD card.

John,

   Can you put any SD card in the machine and have the data writtent to it?
If so, you don't need to specifically format the card.

> If I can just access the card by wifi I can copy the data to a folder on
> my hard drive every day.

   That looks to be the point of the Toshiba card: wirelessly transmit it to
another device as long as there's an access point between them.

> I could probably do this with a cron job, but I don't know much about
> cron, except that I looked at it once and it was overwhelmingly complex
> and powerful, so I'll leave that last step until I actually get a card
> where I can access the files fom Linux.

   Cron jobs are simple: run this script/program at this time on this (or
these) dates. From the crontab man page:

 	# MIN HOUR DAY MONTH DAYOFWEEK  COMMAND
 	# run `date` at 6:10 am every day
         10 6 * * * date

   As a user you can edit your own crontab with the command 'crontab -e' (you
can view that file with crontab -l). The default crontab editor is vi; that
can be changed to whatever editor you prefer.

   So, as long as you know how to access the SD card in your CPAP machine,
you can have a script copy data from it to a defined directory on your host
machine. The group here has the expertise to assist you with the script and
the communications.

   Have I missed something vital here?