[PLUG] keyboard mapping change

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 27 12:49:33 UTC 2014

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> My keyboard gave up so I replaced it with one from FreeGeek.  I discovered
> this new keyboard has a couple of extra keys next to the shift keys,
> making the shift keys smaller. How can I change the behavior of those keys
> to shift? I have looked at various man pages and done some Googling, but I
> have to admit that the information just left me confused. One comment said
> something like "changes for X have nothing to do with changes for Linux"

Denis,

   The Xmodmap man page shows you how to re-assign keys. But, you need to
first know the names of the keys you want to change. There's a utility for
that whose name I don't recall. A Web search on how to identify key names
would be a good start, and there are Web pages with more information on
modifying ~/.Xmodmap than is found on the man page.