[PLUG] keyboard mapping change

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Mon Oct 27 17:09:56 UTC 2014

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Ken Stephens wrote:
>
> > showkey
>
> Ken,
>
>    Wasn't sure if that showed the key name as used in .Xmodmap or the
> scan code for the key. Didn't look at the man page.

showkey(1) [and its cousins loadkeys(1) and dumpkeys(1)] are for
use from a Linux VT, not from X.  See also keymaps(5).

Use xev(1) to get the key names that X uses.  They aren't the same
as the ones the VTs use.  Also for X, see xmodmap(1) and
setxkbmap(1).

(And I swear they made the X Window System documentation as
obscure as possible.  *grrr*)

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Q:  Why did the Klingon color his hair blond?