[PLUG] keyboard mapping change

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 19:52:24 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 08:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
> Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Ken Stephens wrote:
>>
>> > showkey
>>
>> Ken,
>>
>>    Wasn't sure if that showed the key name as used in .Xmodmap or the
>> scan code for the key. Didn't look at the man page.
>
> showkey(1) [and its cousins loadkeys(1) and dumpkeys(1)] are for
> use from a Linux VT, not from X.  See also keymaps(5).
>
> Use xev(1) to get the key names that X uses.  They aren't the same
> as the ones the VTs use.  Also for X, see xmodmap(1) and
> setxkbmap(1).
>
> (And I swear they made the X Window System documentation as
> obscure as possible.  *grrr*)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --Dale

This does help.  Making progress.  I used xmodmap  -e "keycode 94 =
Shift_L" which appeared to work for the left key of interest.

xmodmap  -e "keycode 51 = Shift_R" did not appear to work.  The key no
longer generates any characters, but does not perform the shift
operation.

I somehow thought the left keycode was 95; found that did not change
the key of interest, then found it was 94.  Perhaps messing with 95
screwed up work with the right key.  I will restart X and repeat the
xmodmap  -e "keycode 51 = Shift_R" command to see if it then works.

But I still have the question:  Where do I put these commands so that
they get executed whenever I start up?  I have heard various answers
to this general question, so am confused (normal linux state for me).

Thanks for the help.

-Denis