[PLUG] "Device is busy"

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 03:41:17 UTC 2014

My laptop has a share for /media so that my desktop can access a USB
drive external to the laptop. Sometimes it just works, more often it
requires considerable swearing to get it to work. This evening I have
exhausted my store of expletives in one language and am starting on
another language.

The laptop us Xubuntu 14.04.1 and the desktop is Xubuntu 12.04.

If I try to mount the share on the desktop at the command line the
command just hangs forever. No error messages; it just fails to do
anything. If I try to umount it I get the dreaded "device is busy."

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know why NFS is such a
PITA?