[PLUG] "Device is busy"

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 04:18:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 20:57:18 -0700
Ken Stephens <kens at cad2cam.com> dijo:

>> Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know why NFS is such a
>> PITA?

>Sometimes the portmap daemon stops running or is not started for
>unknown reasons.  NFS uses this portmap daemon.
>See if it is running.

On the desktop "sudo service portmap start" resulted in "start: Job is
already running: portmap." So I stopped it, which resulted in "portmap
stop/waiting." I assumed this meant I had successfully stopped it, so
then I entered the start command again, and this time it gave me
"portmap start/running, process 28982." There was no change in the
ability to see the share.

On the laptop the same start command resulted in "portmap: unrecognized
service." Trying just the command "portmap" gave me "command not found."