[PLUG] Fetchmail vs. Getmail

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 3 00:08:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014, Russell Johnson wrote:

> The main drawback to using a CNAME is that it forces a second lookup to
> find what it’s pointing at. So if you look up a CNAME for
> ‘mail.appl-ecosys.com’, it says “that’s at ‘appl-ecosys.com’”, then your
> system has to do another lookup to find that ‘appl-ecosys.com’ is at
> 50.38.125.178.

Russell,

   The problem is that appl-ecosys.com points to the web site hosted at my
ISP. It is only mail.appl-ecosys.com that is hosted here, and with a
different (and frequently changed) IP address. So, I need an address (A)
record for each one.

   The current DNS records for hosts and mail exchangers is working. Those
wanting to browse my web site can now access it with either
http://www.appl-ecosys.com/ or http://appl-ecosys.com/. All mail comes here.
The last issue to be resolved is accessing the newly created maillists
hosted on the ISP's server. Having the addresses as
<listname>@appl-ecosys.com caused confusion because the domain points to the
web site, not a MX. I changed the Mailman admin pages to use
lists.appl-ecosys.com and am waiting for the admin at the ISP to affect that
change on their end.

   I suppose that I could host the maillists locally, but I know nothing
about keeping Mailman secure, and there would still be the issue of having a
separate hostname for the maillists at the domain. If necessare an unused
domain can be activated just to support the maillists.