[PLUG] Where are the shares?

David dafr+plug at dafr.us
Wed Sep 3 04:36:35 UTC 2014

On 09/02/2014 08:20 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have set up shares on my laptop and I want to view them and maybe
> edit them. If I recall correctly they are in a text file somewhere, but
> I can't remember where or what it is called.

When I hear the phrase "shares" under Linux, I automatically think of
Samba, but I know you have been fighting with NFS, so you probably want
to look at this file:

	/etc/exports

> I also tried this on the server and on the client and got the same
> results:
>
> #showmount -e
> clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

This generally indicates that portmap is *not* running.

> Google is not very helpful explaining how to fix this error message.

Try searching for just "RPC: Program not registered" and all kinds of
links pop up.

dafr