[PLUG] New computer working on old computer

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 20:04:19 UTC 2014

I can't believe that this all worked.

My old computer was a Thinkpad T61 with Xubuntu 12.04, still functional,
but replaced last December with a new System76 Bonobo Extreme. The
Thinkpad went on a shelf.

The Bonobo Extreme came with a 1 TB hybrid drive, but I added a 480 GB
Crucial mSATA SSD, which I used for / and /home. I never used the
hybrid drive. It currently runs Xubuntu 14.04.1.

The Bonobo Extreme developed a problem which System76 and I agree is
most likely an intermittent GPU failure. This required shipping it to
California. It went out yesterday. But before shipping it back I
confirmed with System76 that it would be OK for me to remove the mSATA
drive, and I did so.

The Thinkpad still boots 12.04, since nothing has been done to it after
getting the Bonobo Extreme. But not only is 12.04 older, it has none of
my current activity, all of which is on the mSATA.

Last night I asked about getting an mSATA to USB enclosure:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 14:57:55 -0700
> wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:
>
> >frys.com claims it's in stock in wilsonville.
>
> Do you mean this one?
>
> http://www.frys.com/product/7996390?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

This morning I bought it. Indeed, my mSATA drive fits and it works. But
here is the best part: I plugged it into the Thinkpad and booted to it.
Not only did it boot, but there was not even the slightest hiccup. I
expected the video at least to be messed up, but the screen came up
exactly as it looked on the Bonobo Extreme.

S now System76 can take as long as they need to fix the Bonobo Extreme.
I am a very happy camper!