[PLUG] Mailman Question

Jeff Kirsher jeffrey.t.kirsher at intel.com
Wed Sep 10 12:48:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    I have a DNS A record that points to lists[dot]appl-ecosys[dot]com. That
> is the host name for Mailman maillists I have set up for a couple of
> volunteer organizations. The ISP's admin is on vacation and the techs there
> are not sufficiently familiar with Mailman to help me get the lists working.
>
>    Now, attempts to subscribe from the Mailman web interface produce no
> confirmatory e-mail messages. My ISP account allows me to have one mailbox
> (I don't use one for business or personal mail because those messages come
> directly here).
>
>    My questions are:
>
>    Do I need one mailbox per maillist? If so, I need to upgrade my account so
> there is a mailbox for each one (e.g.,
> maillist1 at lists[dot]appl-ecosys[dot]com. Or,

No, you do not need a mailbox for each mailing list.

>    Is there a generic mailbox name so messages sent to each maillist are
> properly re-distributed by Mailman?

No, not really.  When you created the mailing list on mailman, did you
use the web interface or command line script "newlist"?

If you used the command line script "newlist", it would have listed 10
entries that need to be placed in the /etc/aliases file.  Once those
are added to the file, the admin is supposed to run "newaliases" so
that the mailman server is aware of the mailing lists.  Here is an
example of what those ten lines would look like:

## cvsnotify mailing list
cvsnotify:              "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-admin:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-bounces:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-confirm:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-join:         "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-leave:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-owner:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-request:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-subscribe:    "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe cvsnotify"
cvsnotify-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe cvsnotify"

These just need to be put on in the /etc/aliases file on the mailman server.

>    Sharing your experiences running Mailman maillists will be very helpful.
>
> Rich

Cheers,
Jeff