[PLUG] Identifying Why One Web Site Will Not Load

wes plug at the-wes.com
Tue Sep 16 15:55:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

>    I have no problems loading any Web site I want except for one:
> grass.osgeo.org. It works for others (probably everyone in the world but
> me)
> and just will not load here using Firefox, Opera, or Chromium. Ping works;
> returns packets quickly.

When you say "will not load" - what do you get when you attempt to load the
site?

>    Please suggest where I might look for the source of this problem, or
> test
> I can run to identify what is blocking me.

When things get weird, I generally try to replicate the functionality of
whatever isn't working in single steps to see at which step it's failing.

You pinged, but did you check with other sources that the IP address you
got for this host (grass.osgeo.org) is the same as what others get? If not,
you can't know for sure just who or what you are pinging. I
get 140.211.15.75.

Once you verify that your DNS lookup was successful (returning the correct
record, not just any record), you can start looking at protocol problems.
Are you attempting to view this site via HTTPS? This site does not appear
to support that.

Next steps will depend heavily on what result you get when you try to view
the site.

-wes