[PLUG] Identifying Why One Web Site Will Not Load

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Sep 17 03:13:57 UTC 2014

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:55:24 -0700
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Rich Shepard
> <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, wes wrote:
> >
> >> The fact that your browser can load http://140.211.15.75 but not
> >> http://grass.osgeo.org pretty much eliminates any issue that could
> >> exist between your workstation and the webserver. Remaining
> >> possibilities include an element on the page which is interrupting
> >> or a small enough group that you're the only one among us who
> >> belongs to that group.
> >
> > wes,
> >
> >    It is quite irrational, I agree. That I could not load several
> > of the mirrors may or may not be a related issue.
> >
> >    At least now I can access a mirror site so I'll wait to see if
> > something changes back in the future.
> >
> >    Age discrimination? :-)
>
> Very likely just makes them load slower and look slightly blurry.
>

> Only some of the mirrors work for me also. Do these match up with
> what you see?
>
> USA Tier 1 http site
> http://mirror.quintex.com/grass  does not load
>
> http://grass.meteo.uni.wroc.pl/    works
>
> http://grass.unibuc.ro/           404
>
> http://grass.milthi.me/    works
>
> http://grass.fsv.cvut.cz/    works
>
> don't see any listings for French, German or Italian mirrors on the
> current site.
>
> Bill

For grins and giggles (and too much time on my hands), I tried all
the mirrors listed on the grass.osgeo.org site.  To wit:

USA:
quintex.com is down, both sites.  Ping returns zero packets.

Sweden:
http://grass.milthi.me  System is up, but server won't answer.

Czech Republic:
http://grass.fsv.cvut.cz  System down; ping returns zero packets.

Romania:
http://grass.unibuc.ro  System down; ping returns zero packets.

Korea:
http://pinus.gntech.ac.kr/grass              Works

Japan:
http://wgrass.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grassh/   Works

India:
http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in/grass/        Works

Indonesia:
http://grass.gis.co.id   Site redirected to a shopping site,
http://www.dealdiskon.com/  (The Grass site has the correct
address, somebody is playing games.)

China:
http://grass.osgeo.cn/                       Works

South Africa:
http://grass.mirror.ac.za   Opens a page of links to many
mirrors.  The grass.mirror.ac.az link re-opens the links page.
the ftp://grass.mirror.ac.za link works.

Namibia:
http://grass.polytechnic.edu.na/             Works

The wiki site also works.

Though I said that some of the systems were down, it's very
possible that there's been an Internet hiccup of some sort.  It's
not like this sort of thing hasn't happened before.

Hope this helps, or at least adds a few data points.

--Dale

--
"The attitude of 'Oh, you want it should work?  That costs extra!'
is the biggest security hole in computer software today."