[PLUG] Fetchmail vs. Getmail

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Fri Sep 19 04:10:10 UTC 2014

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 07:15:13 -0700 (PDT), Rich Shepard
<rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for opinions and experience running getmail rather than
> fetchmail locally. My mail directory uses mbox format and my MUA is alpine.
>
>    Having both in- and out-going mail relayed through my ISP might be my only
> option given the apparent inability of namecheap to dynamically update the
> IP address for the mail host here (that's the lower section of their host
> records definition page.)

My recommendation might be to find an SMTP Redirection service. I use
Rollernet and was presently surprised at how responsive their support
was even when I was using a free account. I currently have upgraded to a
paid Personal account. During any periods where my Internet is down or
out of date with Rollernet's configuration for my IP address, they queue
up the mail and I can request it to be pushed immediately once it is
resolved. I can also monitor what and how much mail has queued up.

As for CNAMEs, the RFCs are clear that MX, SRV, and PTR records are
supposed to point to A or AAAA records. It's allowed for a CNAME to
point to an MX record for mail, but the MX record should contain the
name of an A (IPv4) and/or AAAA (IPv6) directly. Anything else and you
are operating out of scope of the standard and stuff might break. With
that said, I don't recall running into any issues, but I fixed it just
in case. See RFC 5321 if you want to gory details.