[PLUG] Hosting remote access on linux server

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 24 00:19:00 UTC 2014

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014, wes wrote:

> There are plenty of possible solutions which involve collecting the data
> however we want and then providing it to the application via whatever
> input or import methods it accepts.

Wes,

   I assumed that to be the case.

> It all depends on the specific technologies involved. If the software is
> web-based (be it Microsoft-only or not), and it provides sufficient
> controls to keep users looking at only their own data, there's no reason
> this couldn't be accessed directly over the web (securely, of course). If
> it's not, things will get more complicated as we have to determine what
> information to collect, how to collect it, and how to get it from point A
> to point B.

   The information was not clearly communicated the first time. Here's the
update (that fits your comments above).

   There are two options: one is all Microsoft and costs $$$$. The other is a
version of the tax software that runs on the Web and costs $$. I do not know
whether the web-based version requires a specific httpd or RDBMS back end.
It turns out that what she's really seeking is someone who could set up the
web version and maintain it (security, software upgrades, etc.). There's
another CPA who runs one of those versions so more information is certainly
available from her.