[PLUG] Such a thing as a "single user" Linux?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu Sep 25 15:34:47 UTC 2014

Rich Shepard wrote:

>     Perhaps because we don't have a clear understanding of your problem we
> cannot offer a solution. I've not read anything that makes a multiuser linux
> system/network unsuitable for you. Please clarify if you wish to.

I'll paraphrase some of what was snipped.

The Unix heritage of Linux just "gets in the way". Unix was
intended to serve a large user base having diverse individual
needs simultaneously.

Paraphrasing Julius Caesar, "All applications perform [system
maintenance] XOR [web connection] XOR [computation]". In my case
the "X" is enforced by having 3 physically distinct computers.

While writing this I saw mention of Knoppix. Reading its site and
having learned some of Debian's ins and outs, I believe a
remastered version would nicely address all my web related needs.
And, due to peculiarities of my environment, it is reasonable and
practical to run ALL executables from read only media.

That solves most of the problems that others would agree are
problems.

The majority of the remaining problems might be classed as
"philosophy of OS design". Debian automatically pulls in to many
do-dads/gizmos/geegaws/etc. The majority of those problems can be
addressed by setting --norecomends for apt-get and judicious
creation of appropriate meta-packages.

I've a project to determine which packages with Priority:
important or standard I actually want in a base install.

I'll be ordering a collection of Live CDs to see what example(s)
I might wish to follow.

Suggestions?