[PLUG] Such a thing as a "single user" Linux?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu Sep 25 16:47:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:34:47 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:

> Rich Shepard wrote:
> >
> >     Perhaps because we don't have a clear understanding of your
> > problem we cannot offer a solution. I've not read anything that
> > makes a multiuser linux system/network unsuitable for you. Please
> > clarify if you wish to.
> >

> I'll paraphrase some of what was snipped.
>
> The Unix heritage of Linux just "gets in the way". Unix was
> intended to serve a large user base having diverse individual
> needs simultaneously.

This is what I don't understand.  How does the multi-user/
multi-tasking system that Unix uses get in your way?  If you don't
want multiple users, simply never create accounts for them.
That's what I do here.  If you really want to enforce single-user mode,
set your system to boot to that mode.  I'm the only one with physical
access to my system, unless some rude person breaks into my house,
so I don't care.  I have no user accounts other than myself.

As for running apps from read-only media, set your /etc/fstab to
mount /usr as read-only.  I don't, because I'd have to remount it
read/write whenever I updated my system.

(Truly, I _like_ having a multi-tasking system.  I can have, say,
Firefox and/or Midori running, along with man, to check on
documentation, which is usually local.  I don't particularly like
being on the Web all the time myself.  Too darn many web-creatures.
:-)  [Who will get that reference, we wonders, yes, we wonders.]  At
the same time, I can be writing in Emacs, crunching the file buffer
with Groff, and reading the resulting PDF with xpdf or qtpdfview.
Actually, I'm using Emacs to write this, whilst Claws-Mail sits in the
background.)

Y'know, it occurs to me that what you might want is an Amiga.
Lovely systems they were.  Single user, multi-tasking.  You won't get
mine until you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.  :-)

I fear I can't help you with your Debian questions; I'm a Red Hat
kinda guy.

Hoping I didn't add too much noise to the conversation.

--Dale

--
Q:  Why did the Klingon color his hair blond?