[PLUG] Such a thing as a "single user" Linux?

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Thu Sep 25 19:17:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:34:47AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> The majority of the remaining problems might be classed as
> "philosophy of OS design". Debian automatically pulls in to many
> do-dads/gizmos/geegaws/etc. The majority of those problems can be
> addressed by setting --norecomends for apt-get and judicious
> creation of appropriate meta-packages.
>
> I've a project to determine which packages with Priority:
> important or standard I actually want in a base install.
>
> I'll be ordering a collection of Live CDs to see what example(s)
> I might wish to follow.
>
> Suggestions?

What is your exposure to minimalist Linux distributions?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution#Distributions_described_as_lightweight

To which I would add Linux from Scratch and (ahem) Arch Linux.

Each of these would install with a minimum set of applications that you could add to as needed.
This would address the philosophy issue nicely.

  Arch is installed as a minimal base system, configured by the user upon
  which their own ideal environment is assembled by installing only what
  is required or desired for their unique purposes.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux

And FWIW I've found maintaining a bunch of Arch systems easier than an Ubuntu system.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity