[PLUG] Using less on a growing file

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Thu Sep 25 21:16:56 UTC 2014

Is there a way to use less, or a less-like viewer, to view a growing
file such that as the file grows, paging down will get me more and more
content?

As far as I can tell, just running 'less myfile.txt', when myfile.txt is
being written to by another app, seems to just take a snapshot of
myfile.txt -- I want to be able to look at the full extent of the file
AS IT GROWS, to monitor ongoing long computations to see how they're
doing.

If you're tempted to just answer with "you don't want to do that" -- no,
I do indeed want to do that, and I have good reason.

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com