[PLUG] Mailman Configuration Question

wes plug at the-wes.com
Thu Apr 2 17:22:40 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, wes wrote:
>
> > Aracnet runs your lists now. You don't get to configure Aracnet's lists
> > for them. You have to use whatever method they provide to manage them.
>
> wes,
>
>    I seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place. The folks at
> Aracnet
> have installed Mailman and made it available to me through the cPanel for
> my
> account. Reading the Mailman FAQ I find three entries related to "Why can't
> I see my lists on the listinfo page?"
>
>    Since my lists are configured to advertise themselves, the issue seems
> be a need to set up a virtual host and tweak mm_cfg.py. That must be done
> on
> the server hosting Mailman as far as I know.
>
>    So, allowing potential subscribers to see the the lists and
> subscribe/unsubscribe appears to be a Mailman server configuration,
> including creation of a virtual host (I assume for lists.appl-ecosys.com)
> which the Aracnet admins and support techs do not know how to do and I
> don't
> have access to do it. Besides, such changes need to be done so others using
> their Mailman server aren't borked by me trying to make my lists visible.

Yes, this all sounds normal to me. You might consider writing a descriptive
web page and include the email methods to manage mailman. Like the new
person who wants to subscribe to a list would email
list-subscribe at lists.appl-ecosys.com (it is _so hard_ not to write "apple"
while typing that domain), etc.

-wes