[PLUG] Advice needed

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 05:18:42 UTC 2015

I have a desktop machine which seems to be having problems with the on-MB
video.  One solution is to install a separate video card.  Another solution
is to replace the MB or even the entire system.  The former solution looks
preferable as it is less complicated and less disruptive, so my first
question is how to select a video card.  No gaming, occasional videos may
be the most I demand of the machine.  It would be nice to have 3d
supported.   I have tried asking Mr. G, but he seems interested mostly in
high-end stuff, and is seldom interested in Linux.

The gory details of the system are:

Ubuntu 12.04, Unity desktop.  Virtual box running win 2k

Asus M3N78-VM MB, new 6/2009. Video is Nvidia GeForce 8200(rev a2)
CPU AMD Athlon X2 2.5Ghz
RAM 6G
HD 500G sata, 500G external sata,
PSU Antec EA380D (new 9/8/14)
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 216BW (failing PS, to be replaced)

Thanks for your suggestions.