[PLUG] ssh issue: seeking explanation and resolution

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 9 14:09:04 UTC 2015

   The last business trip had ssh issues because I did not change the ssh
port number on my LAN firewall; Russell graciously brought that error to my
attention. Changed the firewall port number, reset it, and tested remote
access at the local library branch. Thought all would work as previously.

   That's not the case. Here I am, again 500 miles away, and when I tried to
ssh to my server to access mail and files, the attempts failed. traceroute
would reach a Frontier Tigard router then stop. Hmm-m-m. That should have
been fixed with the firewall ssh port number corrected.

   Searching the Web for an answer I came upon this site:
<http://www.infobyip.com/sshservertest.php>. Entered the sub-domain name and
port number, clicked the 'Check' button, and a couple of seconds later was
rewarded with:

Connected to <domainname>:<port number>
PASS Server fingerprint is B971680C85D08A84CF882D9F9E0DAE6A

   Back to a v.t. and re-try. Now I get a message that the new IP address
(Frontier chages them every hour from about 17:30 one day to 06:50 the next
day) is not recognized as an allowed host, but the passphrase prompt is
presented. Entering that string allows me entry to my server, obviously,
because I'm sending this message from it.

   My question is why ssh and traceroute might now be failing until the web
site tests the connection, then it works from a shell? The next question is
what I might do to avoid having this extra step when remotely connecting
since that has not happened prior to my changing the ssh port number and the
authentification from password to passphrase. Perhaps they have nothing to
do with the issue but it's a hassle I'd much like to resolve.

   Will check later this afternoon when meetings are over and I'm back in the
hotel.

TIA,