[PLUG] Emacs: Uneven Tab Spacing

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 22 14:06:37 UTC 2015

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, Dale Snell wrote:

> WARNING: I haven't had my gallon of caffienated beverage yet this morning.
> Everything I write may be wrong.

Dale,

   I'm subject to the same deficit on occasion.

> First off, just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly (I may not; see
> above), Emacs isn't issuing evenly spaced tabs. Yes?

   Yes.

> Secondly, what do you mean by "line contiuation errors"?  I don't
> think I've ever seen Emacs generate one.

   That's 'arrows,' not 'errors.' Within emacs a line longer than the buffer
width wraps without a newline and the wrapping is indicated by a curved
arrow in the left margin of the buffer window.

> Thirdly, is the TAB key actually issuing a <tab> character (<ctrl-I>)?

   Dunno. Haven't looked. But, if the [Tab] key emits spaces instead of tabs,
then the uneveness makes even less sense as the number of spaces should be a
constant.

> What happens if you type C-q TAB instead of TAB by itself?

   Haven't tried that. Will later today.

> Finally, are your tab stops set to something you're expecting? You can
> issue "M-x ruler-mode" to see the tab stop locations.

   Good point. I'll check this, too.

Thanks,