[PLUG] Emacs: Uneven Tab Spacing

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Apr 22 19:31:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:54:39 -0700 (PDT), in message
alpine.LNX.2.11.1504221146380.26983 at localhost, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, Dale Snell wrote:
>
> > Nani?
>
>    ?

<dying-backwards-accordion>  Yes.

:-)  Actually, "nani" is a Japanese word; it means "what".  (I actually
heard it used in a radio commercial a few years ago.  Surprised
the heck out of me.)

> > C-q is <control-q>, and is bound to the Emacs command
> > quoted-insert, which inserts the next character literally. So the
> > sequence C-q TAB should insert a literal ASCII <tab> character at
> > point.
>
>    Should, but didn't. Point did not move.

That's weird, it should have.  You might want to check your Emacs
init file, to see if C-q is re-bound somewhere.

> > If you're using a proportionally-spaced font, then I don't know how
> > it's divided.)
>
>    Don't know why I'd want to do that.

Heh, neither do I, but I've seen people do the strangest things,
including using a prop font for text editors and terminal
emulators.  (Ugh.)

>    The samples were the first two header lines in an e-mail, not the
> data with which I worked.

The default settings annoy the heck out of me.  Here's how I have
mine set:

    (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
    (setq-default tab-width 4)

>    The lines were written here, the e-mail was used for an example.

Ah, okay.  That makes more sense.

>    When I opened the file in joe I was able to fix all the multiple
> tabs and extraneous spaces emacs had generated so this task is
> finished. The source of the text file was a selective export from
> jpilot (the desktop side of the Palm PIMs while the handheld side is
> my Treo 700p 'smart' phone).

Okay...  It sounds to me like you need to look into how jpilot is
set up.  I can't help you there; I know nothing about jpilot.
Heck, I don't even have a PIM.

--Dale

--
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the
usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers, and