[PLUG] Recommend home router software?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Aug 12 20:24:52 UTC 2015

>>>>> "eehouse" == eehouse  <eehouse at eehouse.org> writes:

eehouse> I've been running LEAF
eehouse> (http://leaf.sourceforge.net/bering-uclibc/) for years on
eehouse> general purpose mini computers like those from PCEngines
eehouse> (http://www.pcengines.ch/) and soekris
eehouse> (https://soekris.com/). I'm happy with the hardware, but
eehouse> suspect LEAF's original focus on fitting on floppy disks is
eehouse> keeping it from being as featureful as I'd like.

eehouse> Any recommendations? I'm not afraid of commandline interfaces,
eehouse> but am willing to use one those GUI thingies if it brings real
eehouse> benefits.

eehouse> Aside from personal experience, are there sites that do a good
eehouse> job of comparing the choices? Googling is turning up sites
eehouse> designed more to generate ad views than share real expertise.

eehouse> I think the most challenging thing I'm likely to want to
eehouse> configure my router to do is switch from its outbound ethernet
eehouse> connection to USB when a tethering smartphone is attached
eehouse> (since our DSL is MUCH slower than LTE, and sometimes we really
eehouse> need the greater speed.)

OpenWrt.

--
Russell Senior, President