[PLUG] AT Topic? Patching Stagefright on Android?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Tue Aug 18 06:11:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:55:04AM -0700, Michael Dexter wrote:

> Please cast your votes for the following:

I know little about Android - my wife has one, with enhanced
texting intentionally turned off at her provider, making her
less sensitive to the Stagefright vulnerability.

What she really needs is a patched version of Android, which
the upstream network provider (ATT) and the phone manufacturer
(Motorola) will not provide for six-month-old phones.

So - does anyone understand Android well enough to teach us how
to update Androids, adding patches or new versions of the O.S.,
without bricking the phones or pissing off the providers?

It would be nice to know how to do this.  When the vulnerability
becomes an exploit, and a billion Androids become useless, I
would like to help a friend or two get their farts-moan back.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com