[PLUG] Linux distributions

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Aug 19 15:21:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, Jim Webb wrote:

> I'm going to start using Linux again. I'm interested in a run of the
> mill distribution that works well and isn't cutting edge. What do
> you suggest?

My reading of your request is that you'd prefer stability over having
the latest and greatest features. With that in mind...

Ubuntu is easy to install and has gobs of packages available. If you
stick to one of the LTS (long-term support) releases, you won't have
to upgrade very often.

CentOS is (to my mind) the gold standard for distributions with
long-term stability. You'll have to learn how to add additional
repositories like EPEL or ELRepo for access to a wider variety of
packages, but it's not too difficult. CentOS 7 is relatively new and
will likely outlast your current hardware. :-)

Debian stable isn't quite as easy to install as Ubuntu, but it's rock
solid and easy to manage.

Some engineers at my last company absolutely loved Linux Mint (as
others in this thread obviously do as well), but I don't have any
hands-on experience with it.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com