[PLUG] Linux distributions

Rich Burroughs rich at richburroughs.com
Wed Aug 19 15:44:06 UTC 2015

I used Mint some and liked it a lot. Not as a real desktop though, just for
a lightweight VM.

For the OP, it could be helpful for people to hear some more specifics
about what you want to do with the box. Is this for a home desktop system,
are you a developer, what is the scenario you're using it for? What kind of
hardware are you running it on?

For my $0.02 I think something like Mint could be good, as well as Ubuntu
or CentOS. Some of these options have live images that you can download and
boot off of to try them for yourself.

I've used Debian also and thought it was a decent desktop, although I
really wasn't doing multimedia on it. I think Slackware would be near the
bottom on my list but maybe that's just ignorance, I haven't used it in a
long time.

Rich