[PLUG] Linux distributions

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Wed Aug 19 19:43:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 08:16:39AM -0700, Nat Taylor wrote:
> I've been using Arch Linux with the cinnamon desktop.  Works great once you
> get it installed.  I used the guide in Linux Voice magazine.  I suggest
> reading some of those magazines, and taking a look at distrowatch.com .
> As mostly a user now I find Linux Mint (LTS versions) with the Mate
> desktop manager works great.  For servers I've started moving to Debian.

My terse reply of "Not Arch" was made before seeing this message.

The OP wrote "isn't cutting edge." I don't know of a distribution that is less
cutting edge than Arch. How they manage to keep it organized and well functioning
is a mystery. But they do. And I get the very current versions of the photo
and video editors that drew me to it.

But if you're not looking for that level of upstream tracking, stay away.

OK, pacman is also a very excellent package manager.

> > I'm going to start using Linux again. I'm interested in a run of the mill
> > distribution that works well and isn't cutting edge. What do you suggest?

      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate you are bound to wake up somebody.
    ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow