[PLUG] Linux distributions

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Wed Aug 19 20:02:57 UTC 2015

Jim:
I use Linux Mint for some multimedia stuff, stuff like Audacity for
audio recording, etc. It comes with all the CODECs, etc. I also often
set up any friends who are trying Linux for the first time with Linux
Mint. But, I haven't found Linux Mint to be terribly stable.

For industrial control system projects or anything that I really care
about, I use Slackware. I have found it to be extremely stable.
Slackware is a very conservative distribution and uses a "standard"
kernel as released by the kernel developers.

Slackware makes more than one sites list of top 10 distributions.
Distrowatch.com <http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major>
comments that, "if you learn Red Hat, you'll know Red Hat, but if you
learn Slackware, you'll know Linux. It also comments that Slackware is
one of the least buggy distributions available today.

Wayne