[PLUG] Linux distributions

Nathan Williams nath.e.will at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 00:51:16 UTC 2015

I'll echo the endorsement for CentOS 7. It's reasonably new enough to offer
new-ish packages for desktop use, while also being the "gold standard" for
stability and long term support (EOL in June 2024). Add in EPEL and elrepo
for "extras", and you've got a pretty solid system that you won't have to
totally replace every 6 months.

In addition, it's got that new-fangled systemd init system that all the
major distros are going to be on within the next year or so, so you won't
end up having a really core piece of the system be different from what
everyone else is running (better supportability if you need help down the
road).

Cheers,

Nathan W