[PLUG] Fedora 21 & OSX samba connection not working.

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sat Aug 22 15:38:07 UTC 2015

On 08/21/15 14:58, mitch portland wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I thought I'd try a local resource. I have a Fedora 21 and an OSX 10.10.5
> system on the same network. I've tried applying all the information I could
> find through google searches on the subject, and it appears I have smb and
> nmb running on the Fedora box, but nothing is showing up in the network
> listing on the osx machine.
>
> I had initially tried an AFP server using netatalk, and with that I could
> see the linux machine from osx. But connecting to it failed. Apple is also
> moving away from AFP for file sharing apparently:
> http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-sharing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks
> So I removed netatalk and am attempting to go with samba.
>
> The smb and nmb services are running, but something doesn't look quite
> right:
>
> hobgoblin:~:{928}service nmb status -l
> Aug 21 13:56:17 hobgoblin.localdomain nmbd[1124]: STATUS=daemon 'nmbd' : No
> local IPv4 non-loopback interfaces available, waiting for interface
> ...NOTE: NetBIOS name resolution is not supported for Internet Protocol
> Version 6 (IPv6).

Have you confirmed that your network interface is up and running?  Can
the Fedora machine ping the OS X machine?

Assuming you have network connectivity, what is the name of your
ethernet interface?  eth0 or something else?  You can use ifconfig to
list your interfaces.  Does it match your interfaces line in
/etc/samba/smb.conf?  I'm not sure how samba decides which interfaces to
use if they aren't explicitly listed, but a search shows someone curing
this problem by specifying his interface.

<http://linuxadmin.melberi.com/2015/04/nmbd-no-local-ipv4-non-loopback.html>

galen
--
Galen Seitz