[PLUG] fstab entry

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:20:47 UTC 2015

I needed to use the floppy disk on my ubuntu 14.04 system (why is a
separate story).  I found that the default setup had the floppy owned by
root. Even when I made myself a member of the group floppy, I did not have
write access. It appeared as if the drive was not a member of the group
floppy.

On searching for a solution I came across a change to /etc/fstab which
solved the problem.  My question is, I would like to understand what these
changes do and what the entries mean, and make sure that the changes do not
have any flaws. Could the dropping of the utf8 option produce a problem?

Original entry (as provided by the installation):
/dev/fd0   /media/floppy0  auto   rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8  0     0

New entry:
/dev/fd0   /media/floppy   auto  rw,user,noauto,exec,gid=floppy,umask=007 0
 0

Thanks,
-Denis