[PLUG] fstab entry

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Fri Aug 28 15:52:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:20:47 -0700, in message
CAArUT0gzXdJ5XqDnLKjax8E+VXPbBZtRbvXxrVPWxpd4vnLApQ at mail.gmail.com,
Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> I needed to use the floppy disk on my ubuntu 14.04 system (why is a
> separate story).  I found that the default setup had the floppy owned
> by root. Even when I made myself a member of the group floppy, I did
> not have write access. It appeared as if the drive was not a member
> of the group floppy.
>
> On searching for a solution I came across a change to /etc/fstab which
> solved the problem.  My question is, I would like to understand what
> these changes do and what the entries mean, and make sure that the
> changes do not have any flaws. Could the dropping of the utf8 option
> produce a problem?
>
> Original entry (as provided by the installation):
> /dev/fd0   /media/floppy0  auto   rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8  0     0
>
> New entry:
> /dev/fd0   /media/floppy   auto  rw,user,noauto,exec,gid=floppy,umask=007 0 0

You ensured that the floppy was a member of group floppy.  Since
you're a member of that group, you now have access.  The utf8
option does different things, depending on the type of
filesystem.  You'll have to read the mount(8) man page to
determine what's happening in your particular case.  If you're
formatting your floppy as vfat, then I'd keep the utf8 option.
BTW, you might want to specify "uid=<your_user_ID>".  That should
make sure that you own the device, not root.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the
beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire