[PLUG] How/where to ask questions that will receive responses

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sat Dec 5 18:24:43 UTC 2015

On 12/5/2015 9:20 AM, Patrick J. Timlick wrote:
> I think you should add more detail.  Show your partition tables, show the
> commands you used to install, show the messages that indicate the wrong
> thing happened.

I think you have me moving in a productive {possibly not "*THE*
right"} direction.
"Show your partition tables" lead to reading up on fdisk.
I don't know to "show the commands you used to install" as was
responding to prompts from the installer. I was hoping that log
files would give useful info.

In answer to my second question of my debian-user post, I
discovered existence of
"/var/log/installer/". I had read "Debian GNU/Linux Installation
Guide" several times in the last couple of years. That's why I
knew log files existed. Just didn't remember where.

As to "show the messages that indicate the wrong thing happened",
there were none - i.e. a "silent" failure. The only system was
inability to boot the newly installed system.

I'm now setting out to do a series of installs to *CLEAN* media.
That explicitly means use of "dd" with "if=/dev/zero". Yess I do
have hardware dedicated to 'educational' experiments <GRIN> { >
50 yrs of component level trouble shooting has taught me to start
from a known state ;}