[PLUG] SMTP Error Code Meaning

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Fri Dec 11 17:38:40 UTC 2015

On 12/11/2015 9:33 AM, john at meissen.org wrote:
> Not necessarily. It's just telling you who the email was addressed to.
> It could be rejected because the mail server didn't like you.

Yes.  If you're seeing a non-standard or customized message (as this one
is) then it would be up to the maintainer of the server. They could use
one blanket message with their own codes so they can keep track of
rejections while keeping the sender in the dark to prevent them from
knowing what to try next to get past, for example, a SPAM filter.

This is frowned upon (because it makes debugging harder) but does
happen.  If it continues you'll have to contact the recipient
by other means and get them to complain to their ISP or MTA maintainer.

This is why I've been running my own SMTP server for a decade. At
least that way I'm in total control.

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88